Happy Fall to all! I don’t know about you, but here at BED|STU Headquarters, we’ve been obsessing over soups this season, so we put together a list of a few different soup recipes for you to try! Make these recipes with your family to create a fun experience together and eat some delicious soup this season!
A creamy tomato soup with cheese tortellini, spinach and plenty of parmesan cheese that is pure comfort food on a chilly day!
Cheddar Apple Beer Soup with Brie
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 sweet onion (chopped)
- salt and pepper (to taste)
- 2/3 cup apple cider
- 2 small Honeycrisp apples, or 1 large (chopped)
- 2 teaspoons fresh thyme (chopped), or 1/2 teaspoon dried
- 1 (12 oz.) beer (she used pumpkin ale)
- 2 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/4 cup flour
- 1 cup whole milk
- 1 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 8 ounces brie (rind removed and cubed)
Cinnamon Pecan Oat Crumble
- 1 cup old fashioned oats
- 1 1/2 cups whole raw pecans
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter (softened)
To make crumble:
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F
- Working on a greased cookie sheet or pyrex dish, add the oats, pecans, flour, brown sugar, cinnamon, and salt.
- Add the softened butter and use your fingers to crumble into the oats mixture until everything is moist and the butter is evenly distributed.
- Bake for 20 minutes, stirring halfway through cooking, until crisp is golden brown and smells amazing! I like to serve this warm, so I make it while the soup simmers.
To make the soup:
- Heat a large soup pot over medium heat. Add the olive oil.
- Once hot, add onions and a pinch of brown sugar
- Season with salt and pepper
- Cook for about 5 mins, stirring frequently, until softened
- Slowly add the apple cider, let it cook into the onions, add more and continue to cook until the onions are caramelized
- add apples and thyme to the pot and cook over medium heat, stirring until softened, about 8 minutes
- Add in any remaining apple cider, beer, chicken broth, and cayenne
- Bring to a simmer and cook 5-10 minutes or until the apples are tender *(this is when I bake the crumble)
- Meanwhile, whisk the flour into the milk until smooth and set aside
- Once the apples are soft, puree the soup until chunky/smooth or completely smooth (whatever you prefer)
- Return the soup to the stove and bring to a low boil
- Whisk in the milk mixture and boil until the soup thickens slightly, about 5 mins.
- Stir in the cheddar cheese and brie until melted and smooth
- Simmer the soup about 5 mins or until ready to serve
- Ladle the soup into bowls and top with the cinnamon pecan crumble (and some extra cheese too!)